Wine Irrigation Lifestyle Smallholding | AGF0320
- Price in R(mil): 34.00
- SKU: AGF0320
- Available: Yes
- Size in Ha: 33
- Farmhouse: Yes
- Outbuildings: Yes
- Water: River
- Farm Type: Wine, Irrigation, Lifestyle, Smallholding
The Wine Estate is located in the Stellenbosch hills between Spier and Meerlust, 20min from Cape Town International. With an established label, the farm produces gold medal wine with 100 000 bottles produced and sold annually in the export market.
The Eerste River borders the property on the West boundary.
- 22ha planted with 9 different varietals, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Chardonnay, and Pinotage mainly
- 2.25ha Chardonnay
- 2.45ha Semillon
- 1.79ha Sauvignon Blanc
- 1.86ha Chenin Blanc
- 1.00ha Shiraz
- 3.55ha Pinotage
- 3.78ha Merlot
- 4.31ha Cabernet Sauvignon
- 1.16ha Sangiovese
- 2ha is given over to the gardens surrounding the homestead
The road linking adjacent wine farms
HOUSING & INFRASTRUCTURE
- 4 bedroom, 4 bathroom Cape Dutch family home - Dates back some 100 years. The home has been available as a guesthouse and short-term holiday rentals and has a FOUR-STAR GUESTHOUSE RATING. A large farmhouse style kitchen with an original Aga, substantial lounge/dining room with southwest facing stoep and original working fireplace. Family room leading onto another protected stoep facing northwest, large enough for dining table and lounge area
- In the garden is a 10x5m heated swimming pool with a large surround paved entertainment area.
- 1 bedroom cottage
- Barrel cellar, an air-conditioned building used to store bottled wine
- Large shed - development potential
- 4 Workers cottages, 3 are occupied by families with occupancy rights
- 3 active sources of water and a fourth which could be activated.
- Municipality delivers water from Tierwaterskloof via the mains supply
- Water rights to take water from the Eerste River
- The possibility of reactivating 2 dams on the northeast edge border
INCLUDED IN THE SALE
Farm equipment such as a tractor, spray machines, topping machine, harvest bins, fertilizers and the like, together with a tool shed which house all the gardening equipment.
Until 2007, grapes were sold to neighboring wineries
From 2007, the first own labeled wines were produced in small quantities
Gradually other varieties were added
Now the farms sell about 100 000 bottles per year of 7 different wines
Wines are made through long-term arrangements with 2 different wineries under control of our winemaker. Because volumes now exceed what we can produce, additional grapes are purchased to fill out volumes as necessary.
The vineyard manager lives on the farm in one of the worker's cottages and runs the farming operations day to day.
Production is sold in export markets with the vast majority going through one internet based retailer in the UK, where the current owners are based. Other customers include small on-trade accounts in the UK and South African exporter to China.
There is a tremendous opportunity to take the range of wines into other markets increasing sales and improving margins.
The farms have a secure access via an automatic security gate. The farm is well positioned to develop its wine business having reached critical mass across its range of wines with key opportunities to penetrate new geographical markets.